My meanderings working around the world :)

¡Bienvenidos a mi aventura!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ketchup from the last 2 weeks

I know it’s been a while since I have last posted, but because of technology issues and training events have delayed me a bit. But enough with excuses what has been happening en la vida de Emily?
First of all one of my biggest fear hit me having stomach issues, as many of you know I got really sick in Monterey. Last week the same thing kind of happened but a little less intense, luckily Peace Corps health is really on top of their stuff and I was on the appropriate meds within hours of reporting being sick. I lost 10 pounds when being sick so I guess there is an upside. Although this weekend some stomach issues are back so I HOPE that passes quickly. Oh I also went to the emergency room last week because I almost passed out, my vision went blurry and I started to sweat profusely during a training session at the local health center. Ironic? The doc said it was probably environmental and had to with lack of ventilation and heat exhaustion. But enough about med problems, although I feel like it is a central topic for people in Peace Corps, time for the gross and interesting stuff.
Number one on the gross list is me in the shower washing my hair and I look down and see a cockroach crawling up my inner thigh. It still makes me twitch thinking about it. The bugs here are kind of out of control, there are just so may and all over. For example I drank an ant for breakfast the other day. I was warned that CA ant infestation was nothing compared to PC, that is for sure.
Yesterday I went with some other volunteers for a 10k/25k run/walk in la tigra national park. Which was pretty spectacular we walked to the highest point in the region as part of the course, in the middle of the cloud forest, so we were literally standing in a cloud. There were some cool waterfalls, and caves and the views climbing up were out of this world. My fellow volunteers took lots of pics that I will have to steal and post. Although I’m sure the pics won’t be able to do the scenery justice.  The hike was really hard, it was up hill aka up mountain for 7 of the 10k which was pretty intense. There were people running it which to tell you the truth seems in -human, only a centaur could run this thing.  It was definitely a once in a lifetime thing, and I slept really well last night. I’m glad I brought my hiking boots. Don’t worry mom (who I think is the only person who even reads my blog) I drank lots of bagged water which is a central American thing I think.
Other interesting events included seeing a public bus being stopped by a truck load of military guys with automatic weapons, being stopped by a landslide driving home for lunch, and finding out that we make less then the Honduran minimum wage. Friday night we had a group movie night complete with microwave popcorn, in a garage, we watched when Harry met Sally which was fun.
We have our 2nd language interview this week, to see if we have changed levels. I’m not feeling particularly confident; I don’t feel like my Spanish has gotten any better, only that my gaps and errors are pointed out constantly. It is really hard to break solidified errors. I also have been told that I use a lot of fufurufu (stuck up) Spanish because I say things like ducharse instead of banarse or coche instead of carro, or charlar and platicar instead of hablar. And the vocab specific to Honduras is kind of out of control.  Please tell me why every single country in the Spanish speaking world has a different word for straw as in the one you drink out of?
I am realizing that this post is becoming absurdly long so, I’m stopping now. More observations about the Honduran educational system and what I’m actually doing in youth development soon. Shout out to Chelsea who just got married sorry I couldn’t be there! And Kim who is going to have a baby any day now. And my dad who just had his birthday. Love you all and miss you lots! 
Try checking out this pic
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100666241643250&set=t.507499127&type=1

4 comments:

  1. It is your mom who probably isn't the only one to read your blog but maybe on of the people who could figure out how to post to it. So why was the bus stopped and is that a common occurrence? Are there many landslides and who cleans them up?OK Miss Stuck- Up fufrufu girl that doesn't sound like speech errors but rather vocabulary and style issues. Perhaps being less formal is more acceptable so go for it. I will be interested in seeing the pictures from the cloud viewpoint. When you watched the garage movie what did they use to project it and onto what, the wall. I think that movie was recently on TV and it reminded me of how hair and clothing styles are so much different now than when the movie was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Em i'm not your mom and i read your blog! what you're doing sounds pretty awesome! (except for the bugs and the GI illnesses, which sound not that awesome.) keep updating on your experiences and good luck with the language stuff!!
    anna booth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, No, your mom is not the only one to read your blog - I am too as I am sure many of her friends are (as well as yours)! I have been praying for you and I know that your mom has too. That is the thing about being a mother (I said this to my daughter yesterday) - that once you have a child and it hits you that you are responsible for this wonderful, miraculous little life, you then worry about them for the rest of your life, just can't help it...
    The view from your new home is absolutely gorgeous and it looks very cozy (aside from the cucarachas). I will be following the adventures of Emily and keeping you in my prayers. :-) Marilyn (and Bob and Charlie too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Em!

    I just got done reading through every word of your blog. I forgot you had one until I asked Reb if she'd heard from you, and she reminded me. We're thinking of you!!!

    So glad you're doing well. Keep us up-to-date on the health stuff please.

    As for the Spanish, all I can say is relax. I'm sure the pressure you're putting on yourself isn't helping the confidence. Ease up, and I bet you anything that it will come so much easier.

    Can't wait for your next post.

    Love,

    Cat

    ReplyDelete